Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Teacher Bonus Does Not Improve Test Scores...

After reading this article and being a teacher myself - I have always wondered - if we were paid bonuses or commissions based on our students doing well, would that make me a more effective teacher?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130029725&sc=emaf




I cannot answer that question with a "yes" or a "no" as of today. What I can say is that a study has been done affirming the negative. Teachers who are given bonuses are given bonuses. They are not better teachers if they make more money, they are just teachers with bigger pockets.

In my years of teaching I can honestly tell you that the single most effective way that can show how well or poorly the students will do in the classroom is the amount of effort that is placed on managing the "learning time" of a student. A teacher can prepare the most elaborate powerpoint, colorful flyer, and most detailed lesson plan. However, if at the end of the day the students cannot remember what they needed to know before walking out of the classroom, then all of that effort is futile.

I have used an approach with my students differently from my peers and find that sometimes, being consistent and having the students work just as hard as you and sometimes even harder, really shows when they take these tests. So the next time your child comes home from school simply say to them:

"Show me what you learned - and don't say NOTHING.".



If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.




No comments:

Post a Comment