Sunday, January 1, 2012

Games - Is It All Just For Fun?

Almost 18 years ago, there was a puzzle game that was created by a Russian by the name of Alexey Pajitnov in the Academy of Science. This game which was originally found in the hands of Game Boys all across the nation was an instant hit and has been in hibernation for almost 10 years.

It was just until recently that this game has caught my eye, once again. When I was younger, I normally had to forfeit my right to play so that my three younger siblings could have their opportunity to enjoy their toys and leisure time. I feel very happy that I have rediscovered this game and all the skills that go along with playing this puzzle game.

In the words of my husband, "puzzles are designed for women to put things back in order". I cannot really say that I am a puzzle type of person or that I really enjoy one activity or another. My attention span is really dictated by the number of items that are on my four to-do lists that are printed in front of me at any given moment. Nonetheless, I have rekindled my passion for this game and have noticed a few things that I would never admit to if I had not picked up this game the second time around.

1. Playing Games Allows You To Escape

When I am sitting in rush hour traffic going from one side of town to the other, I have come to rely on playing this game so as to prevent me from having road rage. It has helped in more situations than I would like to admit.

2. Building Puzzles Helps Connect Executive Functioning Muscles In Your Head

The more you build, the more you strategize and have to come up with a plan of action. In the field of consulting, it is almost a standard that one knows how to look at projects from different dimensions and come up with an algorithm to reach the anticipated goal. In my game, my goal is to continue building as many lines of code before the juice of my battery runs out.

3. Planning For the Long Term

I may not be the video game aficionado like many of the individuals in my generation (I think when my father would tell stories, there were two types of leisure activities that they were involved in, playing outside, or playing chess... Guess what my father chose 99% of the time?) but the more exposed you are to playing not only video games, but also board games, the better you are with anticipating changes and challenges that may deter you from success. We have been fortunate to build a group of friends that enjoy the occasional night of board games and I have always noticed that when you play with other individuals, you must always come up with some type of strategy. Those that have it, normally come out ahead. Those that don't normally sit there with their forehead pressed in the palms of their hands halfway through the game.

So the next time that you are watching your children play games ask yourself, is this game really worth their time?

For more information about learning and executive functioning, you can contact us at learning ridge@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment