Thursday, April 14, 2011

The "Ah-Hah" Moment in Helping Dyslexic Students..

It happens every year. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes weeks, every once in a while it will take a few months. The good news is that every time it does occur, I feel a sense of redemption as the clients feel a sense of satisfaction (and relief) that I have been able to change their child's life....for the better.

The most recent experience that I had was shared with me over the phone. A few months ago, the mother of a young first grader called me in dire need of help. She explained to me that her daughter was struggling with certain concepts in school and felt that as a result, she needed someone to really "work with her" on things that she was just not getting. After looking at the information, spending time with the student - I decided to create a plan that will inevitably lead to success for this young and might I say, very charming little girl. The task always seems daunting as I try to do and undo learning that sometimes conflicts with what she has seen before, but I can assure you that somehow the tears that I shed in the car when I drive home are all worth it.

I've worked with this little girl for approximately 2 1/2 hours each week to remediate your reading. I always never know if what I do makes a difference because - I see her every other day during the week so I cannot know. All I know is that she reads, and reads, and asks me for some treats and all I can say is I hope for the best when I give her a final high five on my way out. All I tell the parents is that I will do my best - and that is contagious with my students when I ask them to do their best.

So I have digressed. The mother sent me an email asking me to call. She told me that she had good news (of which I had to hold my breath). She told me that for the very first time, her daughter volunteered to read a long paragraph at her Girls Scout Troop Meeting. The mother said that her daughter emulated so much confidence and self-esteem that it was almost unrecognizable from months (yes, I said months) earlier. I could not believe it. My heart skipped a beat as I tried to imagine the pride that this family had felt in knowing that their daughter had accomplished something so great. I also was very choked up in knowing that this is the moment that I wait for.....Every life I touch is one that cannot be forgotten, and there is no greater gift than the gift of helping another individual with your own gifts. I am eternally grateful to have shared this moment and cannot wait to share my next success story.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment