Saturday, August 27, 2011

Handwriting Instruction in the United States (and in Georgia)

For many of us that grew up in the time before computers, there was a strong push towards the instruction of handwriting in schools. We were given assignments everyday beginning in Kindergarten on how to form your letters and write legibly. In the third grade I remember the excitement that I had in knowing that we would finally learn cursive - a mysterious script that only adults knew how to transcribe. Unfortunately, students in schools do not have the same sentiment in regards to handwriting as it is slowly escaping the halls of elementary academia.

In an effort to compete with the rest of the world, the academics of our nation have come together to create what is known as the Common Core Standards. These are standards of basic competencies that each student graduating from any school in the United States should know. They cover basic and more complex concepts in the major subjects of math and reading. One thing that is missing from the Common Core is: handwriting. Unfortunately, when I looked into some of the research that went into this study, I found that Georgia is one of the states to omit handwriting as mandatory curriculum for it's students.

Handwriting

Perhaps I am a little old fashioned, but there was nothing better than reading a handwritten letter from my parents or grandparents growing up. There is a certain nostalgia as you see the words that were flowing through their mind and then  transferred onto paper form. Handwriting (in other cultures) is also a sign of education and class. I remember my father insisting that I practice my handwriting and to always make sure that it was written not only legibly, but ladylike. It was an emphasis on sophistication and reputation. My handwriting proceeds me in certain situations.

I write this article to share my opinion about the importance of written script. I am still old fashioned in how I jot down notes and am always complimented at how "nice" my writing is. If you have some extra time, please help your student learn how to write the old fashioned way - by using a pencil and paper.


Christine Javier is trained in the Handwriting Without Tears Curriculum and provides handwriting support to struggling students. If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/.  If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.



No comments:

Post a Comment