Monday, September 12, 2011

Is Your Child Overscheduled?

I cannot help but ask parents what activities they have planned for their children. I remember one of the first activities that my parents put me in was piano. I was in the third grade and was learning how to play piano one time a week and had to practice everyday. Needless to say, it was certainly an activity that I did really well in but decided to tell my parents to find me another activity because at that time, "piano was not my thing.."

Fast forward to many years later - I am surrounded by the nicest and most caring parents that want to offer the everything to their children. They fill their schedules with play dates, piano, cello, swimming, football, tennis, basketball, girl scouts, boy scouts, choir, German school, Japanese School, Chinese School, Korean School, acting and singing lessons - name it, it's on their calendar. Sometimes when I arrive I cannot help but ask my tutees, "Are you okay?" I come from a family of six so I know that competition is in my blood but some of these kids may need to just be - a kid.

Here are some things you should consider when you plan activities with your child:

1. "Consider" playing sports for "exercise" not for competition.

I know so many athletes that have played for college and professionally that have permanent injuries to their body as a result of all the stress during the years. Those trophies are really nice to have on your fireplace mantel, but is it worth a replaced knee cap or back surgery when you are in your early 20's?

2. Schedule "Nothing Time"

I help a variety of students in the Atlanta area be successful not just with school, but with life. One of my clients has a pretty nice set of parents that only have one activity (other than my pre-designed math and study skills lessons) each week. This young 7th grader spent a few months last year creating a marketing idea that has turned into a $3000 profit for him during his "Nothing Time". His parents gave him free license to do as he pleased and actually used his time wisely. How's that for doing "nothing"!

3. Cherish Family Time

I remember taking naps in the car waiting for my younger brother to be done with his cello lessons. Those were the days where I not only was able to watch my younger brother grow up to summon his inner musician (it comes from my grandmother and great grandmother who were both opera singers), but it also gave me the opportunity to take the sibling to a favorite restaurant as a treat. Never cease those opportunities to make a memory come alive!

4. Assist in "Problem Solving" Moments

One time during the summer, one of my students told me of a "bully" situation that he encountered while he was in summer camp. It took me two seconds to think about what I would need to say before I acted as his surrogate mother asking for information to track this delinquent down. In exposing our children to problems, we must help them in becoming assertive and creative problem solvers. Your role as a parent does not end by you saying that you are "going to fix this", it begins by you asking your child what they think the best way to handle a situation would be.

Have confidence in how you raised your child in learning how to think, and act independently -  and you will know that you did a wonderful job in contributing a valuable person into the community.

5. Know When, Is When!

Is it necessary for one student to have four activities each day and another to only have one a week? Yes, but it all depends on the child. If you find that your student is overextended and is falling asleep in class or in the car more often than they should, then take a second to re-evaluate the activities that you are putting on them.  
The natural reaction that most children have is in wanting to please their parents (up until adolescence that is - and that will be the topic for another blog article) so they want to make sure that they are doing everything at their very best.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/.  If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.

No comments:

Post a Comment