Friday, September 9, 2011

Orton Gillingham - Why?

More than seven years ago, I began teaching in the public school system in Georgia. I was very happy to be working with the students that I had in my small group classroom. My students were energetic, had charming personalities, and were very challenging to work with day in and day out. I quickly discovered that some of the strategies that that they teach you during your undergraduate and graduate years falls short of preparing you for that "first day".

After a few months, I started a search that extended beyond the classroom walls. I spoke with colleagues, administrators, professionals in the community who knew anything and everything about education. Whenever someone talked about a strategy - I was there to ask questions and to fill my brain with knowledge that may prove to be useful to someone in my circle later on. Ever since then I realized that the success of a good teacher is based on their ability to be a great learner. I pride myself on that each and every day.

Orton-Gillingham happens to be one of the true passions that I have acquired in my repertoire of skills. This multi-sensory based method of teaching phonics and reading was eye opening for me. Orton Gillingham came as an opportunity from one of my favorite Atlanta clients to learn how to teach - using one of the best methods ever created. She spent weeks asking me if I knew of this technique and convinced me to take the class as a means to help her most precious son. I am so very grateful to not have passed it up because that one singular experience has helped shape the way that I view learning today.

There was no better feeling in the world than to help that young 2nd grader learn how to read in such a short amount of time. After working with him during the summer at their beach home in Florida, I remember receiving an email from the mother saying that her husband was "amazed" at the improvement. They had no idea that I was amazed too... This happens more often than not that with patience, hard work and an encouraging voice that my students achieve beyond my wildest expectations.

Oftentimes, I observe how my students learn and I am left breathless and teary eyed because they have come so far - and allow me the privilege to share in that moment. Each and every student that comes to me with the mission to learn in their own special way leaves an imprint in my heart that I carry with me for a lifetime. It's  my passion - my love - to finally see that glint in a young child's eyes that says, "I've got it!". 


If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Singapore Math, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at mailto:christine@learningridge.com.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/.  If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.

No comments:

Post a Comment