Monday, October 10, 2011

Atlanta! Walk to Cure Diabetes this Saturday at Centennial Park

http://jdrfgeorgia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=58

This time last year, I received a very sad call from one of my dear friends. Her son, who I have worked with for almost two years had seemed to act a bit to peculiar - despite the fact that being peculiar is in his repertoire. She told me that they had spent the weekend at Disneyworld and for some reason, he seemed to be more thirsty than normal. He repeatedly needed to go to the bathroom and when the number of times exceeded more than a handful of instances, they began to sense that something was wrong. Two days after their trip to Florida, they took him to the doctor and that is when the doctors had told my friend that her son had Type I Diabetes.

I know that it is very difficult for any parent to watch their child come home sick after a half day at school. It was very difficult for me to watch my own baby brother come stay home from school because he had asthma, which my father would say "ask-ma" because that would be the time that he would receive extra attention from my mother. However, when a parent realizes that their child has an illness that needs constant supervision and attention, I find that to be a road that not too many parents would like to walk down on, regardless of who they are.

This Saturday, I will be walking with this family at Centennial Park for the annual "Walk for A Cure". I realize that sometimes, it is better to be with the people that you really care about than to just say that you support them. I will not only be walking for my "little friend", but also for my own mother who is also a Diabetic.




No comments:

Post a Comment