Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Learning Ridge Helps Parents Sleep At Night

It all started with one follow up question that I wanted to ask a high school student that I have worked with for over three years. My anxiety was overwhelming when I had thought of that request that his father had asked of me several years prior.

"Can you teach my son some study skills?" I thought that was a very interesting question considering that his son was a Straight A student. I couldn't imagine teaching him anything that he did not already have in his repertoire of skills and habits that led him to that point. As a good provider - I humbly agreed and said that I will do my best to help him think more independently in terms of his study habits.

A few days ago, I approached the son and asked him why his father had made such a confusing request. "Oh, that whole thing about study skills?" he said with a sheepish look on his face. "It wasn't so much about me not studying, it was the fact that my dad would be up late at night and I had to study with him."

I was unaware that this father was up until the wee hours to work with his son when he said, "Well, now it is the complete opposite. My father goes to bed early and I think that he is just so lonely because he doesn't study with me anymore."

Okay, if you are a parent and reading this - I hope that you can understand that this entire conversation really tugs at my heart. Some of the best experiences that parents have is feeling empowered when they are able to help their children - and it is the best of parents that sacrifice blood, sweat, tears (and also - sleep) to help their young ones in school. But when they don't need you anymore, I think that is when you've realized that they are all grown up.

Yes, it's bittersweet - I help many of these young students not only with their homework but also help their parents sleep at night. With some of the report cards that come across my desk, I am very proud to know that I can be the reason why!

No comments:

Post a Comment