Saturday, May 5, 2012

Why - is education so important?

As I grow older, I have learned to listen to what individuals and groups have to say about education. I have also observed how the media has portrayed the  United States in failing to prepare this new generation for their future. This blog is not meant to mark my opinion on what the current party line on education is;  this blog is meant to deliver my own personal opinion on education.

When I was a young girl, I associated a "good education" with a "good future". My grandfather, a former United Nations representative and small town boy -  grew up to be a distinguished attorney and professor. This very fact made it very difficult to  fight the fact that education was a primary focus in our family.

For many years, I worked until the daylight hours to learn everything that I could about subjects that mattered not only in school, but outside of school. I was the type of student that at 13 years old, could assess a situation and discuss a solution not only with my parents, but with other adults that were around me. Education for me was not confined to the four walls that surrounded the brick building where I attended school. Education was embedded in the different social activities that I was involved in - as well as the experiences that I have been personally been privileged to have that give me a better insight on what the world is about - and more importantly - what people are about. My mother has always taught me how to be a good and conscientious citizen, but it is through the education of my own life that has taught me to be tough, uncompromising, and resilient in any situation.

Sometimes when I see young children struggle in school because of something that they had absolutely no  control over - it saddens me. I know that when I was young - there was nothing more enjoyable than to watch my teacher's face light up as she taught us a lesson on fractions as if it were the next big toy at Toys -R-Us. I personally remember a situation when I was in third grade where I knew - no matter what I did, I would not be able to master the art of subtraction. There were several days where the teacher would hand back the assignment that was filled with a sea of red noting that "you need to improve in this concept". My true disposition is to not ask for help, but to figure it out. I watched the class with a different perspective one day and noticed that in one of her attempts to show us subtraction - she showed us how to check if the answer was correct. I was immediately saved by the end of this class and realized that at that point in time, there was always a different path to reach the same destination.

In looking at what is happening with student's today, I hope that student's understand that regardless of what happens in their schooling, there will be ample opportunities for them to observe and hold in high regard the experiences that they have to learn from. Education is not a building, but a collection of experiences and lessons from which to help pave a path for your future. If I did not struggle in that particular math lesson that day, I would not have realized my own potential. Sometimes, allowing your child to see what is wrong will help them make things right in the years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment