Sunday, June 10, 2012

From Zero to Gifted...

Parents have it tougher now more than ever. When I was growing up, we had enough television to keep us plugged in for 24 hours. If something happened at school, the only way that you would learn about it was "word of mouth" - and I mean that literally. The most technologically advanced item that my school had at that time was a scanner - and it took me years to figure out what that fine piece of technology was.

As we progress in society- I feel for parents who have the dream of watching their children exceed their expectations. They buy them applications, video games, and devices in hopes that they can become the next Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Donald Trump. However, it seems that the more that some parents give, the less their children perform.

This is not always the case. In one parent that I have observed over the last few months - her children have gone from shy, indecisive 3rd graders to resilient, completely confident 4th graders. Her son had come to me with problems in spelling and in handwriting. Through hours of targeted instruction and a listening ear, he has become a changed young man with the skills of a child years ahead of his time. The younger daughter was so quiet and timid when I had met her that I thought it would take years to come up with a breakthrough. After just a few months, her true personality came shining through and as a result - she had become accepted into the Gifted and Talented program.

I am so happy to know that I was part of this process and am proud to see these children grow in this last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment