Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Group Learning Versus Individualized Learning?

Many parents look for different types of solutions for different types of problems. In some situations, there are classes that are offered for students that are best suited for a group approach. Other subjects are geared more for the individual approach - where the student has to demonstrate their true potential in front of the instructor.

This has been something that I have been critiquing for many years. I remember a number of years ago, I decided to take some dance classes in order to understand and be well versed in the art of classical dance. My experiment consisted of taking private dance classes in a studio - and taking group classes where there were other individuals who were in the same situation as I was. The results were quite astounding.

When taking the private dance classes, I was given immediate feedback on my timing and sequencing of different moves in the different areas of dance that I was learning (classical ballroom, foxtrot, salsa, tango - and so on). In the group class, the experience was a little less "feedback" driven and the instructor did not really have the time to give an individualized analysis on what I was doing. As my mother stated to me when I was really young in life, "It is important that when you are developing a skill, you have the proper foundation, or all of your efforts will be futile." It is through these and other experiences that I am able to guide individuals on what options are best suited for their child. Sometimes a class is what your child needs - other times it may be that individualized support that would be beneficial as well.

If you have any questions on which learning style would work best for your particular learning situation, please feel free to contact me at any time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment