Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Adult Learning Success Happens... One Student At A Time..

Beginning in February of this year, I had an adult learner approach me with a situation that was quite unique in scope, "Help me study and pass an important medical board examination." Given my track record of helping adults with test preparation examination, I was quite excited and intrigued at the thought of working with a medical professional on a project as important at this. I took the challenge like I do many things in life - with caution and a high degree of planning. The end result - you will learn about later.

My adult learner was what I consider to be someone who was highly motivated - and in extreme need of structure. I utilized many strategies that were customary to learning and also incorporated solutions that fit to his unique learning style. My experience "working with subjects with one eye tied behind my back" has always given me the advantage to dig deep within a content area in order to understand the information as if I were the student. For some reason, it is in this experience that I have been most effective when working with groups of individuals for testing preparation.

Weeks of preparation had led us to a road that had a very difficult fork in which my client had one of two choices: proceed with an unwavering degree of commitment to success, or continue working the way that you are with no certainty of what the outcome could be. As my client showed signs of fatigue in this process, I quickly reminded him of two things: "You have worked incredibly hard for this. Failure is not an option." It was this statement that caused him to change his tempo.

After I made that statement, I noticed that he took light of the "plan" and followed it. He did what he did best - created an environment of learning by using the resources around him - making it easy to access and remember the information. The hours of consultation and phone conversations that I had provided to him were starting to all come together. All I had to do now was wait for him to take the medical board examination.

He took the test on a Saturday - and I remember waking up that day wishing him the best of luck all day long. When I checked my phone, he had messaged me telling me how he felt about the test and that he will hear back in six weeks. Six weeks is such a long time for anyone to wait, but I did...patiently as I always do..

And there it was - a confirmation six weeks later stating, "I passed the test. Thank you so much." I have worked with many adult professionals in my lifetime but this is an experience that I will never forget. Through hard work - and dedication, I was able to accomplish this (and will continue to accomplish a whole lot more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment