Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Best Time To Teach Your Child?

One of the things that I learned after not being in school is this, "just because you are talking, does not necessarily mean that I am listening." Fortunately, for one of my favorite young students, her mother was able to demonstrate the antithesis of this today.

For months at a time, I work with a handful of parents in teaching them some pretty important strategies and techniques which bridge the gap between good parenting - and great teaching. My parents humbly tell me that they are willing to let go of some styles that may border on "bad teaching practices" in favor of "positive learning outcomes". Whenever I hear this I know that this parent is on the path to being a good parent - and also a true partner in education.

Earlier today, my client told me that her daughter had broken something that was very valuable to her - a toy of some sort. This event had caused quite a stir in their house because she was trying to explain to her daughter the idea of personal responsibility and good citizenship. Her conversation was based on a short character lesson where her daughter was asked to define good citizenship. Giving her the example of taking care of things and owning up to the consequences of your actions was difficult for any individual - most especially a four year old. Her parenting lesson ended with the mother stating that, "If you continue to not take care of things, you will not be able to replace them because mommy and daddy will not have the money in our budget to purchase these items over and over again." This is where she had her daughter's attention - all the way to the edge of her chair. The next question was one that intrigued the little one, and my client as well. "Mommy, how do you and daddy make more money?"

When a child looks up to you and asks a question, any question -  they are searching for answers that they want to hear and learn, from you. Many times they will remember these experiences for longer than you can ever imagine. In my case, I distinctly remember the first time that I had to go to the doctor's office for my immunization shots that were required for school. I asked my father what the shots would feel like - and as he gave me the answer , I looked at his face so that I can mimic the same response.  I recall my father saying these exact words, "The injection will not hurt. The shot will feel like an ant dancing around your skin, like this." Needless to say, I was a brave five year old entering first grade when they had given me the shot. I copied what my father did when he showed me how little pain I would feel (to this day, I still make that same face when I have shots). What did not occur to me was that the shot made me pass out...

Back to my story - my client normally would have given her daughter the abbreviated answer if she had not met me for parenting advice, but found that this was the chance for her to be a good parent and put her best foot forward. Instead of driving home and giving her something to think about, she made good use of that time and became the parent that she knows - will go the extra mile for her children.


No comments:

Post a Comment