Monday, July 23, 2012

Test Preparation - Do Your Kids Need It?

I can say that our generation was very fortunate when it came to learning. We were not spoon fed information from our teachers and parents and any information that we learned - we earned either by reading it or obtaining a degree.

When I was in 5th grade, the school that I attended had teachers give us a course in study skills. In this class, my teacher gave us some truly valuable advice on learning strategies that have helped me in my education and also in helping others.

What I have noticed is that this trend of setting people or children up for success is slowly starting to fade away. Children at a very young age are inundated with a variety of activities that take them away from the learning process. I have seen students walk out of private pre-school classes unable to transition to mainstream kindergarten. There are many reasons why this may be occurring but the fact of the matter is, there is so much time wasted on remediating rather than indoctrinating students with the proper way of learning something the first time around.

Test preparation - just like anything else in life, needs to be given a specific priority for your child. Try to take the time to help ease your child into understanding what the expectations are - and they will be successful in their attempts.

If you have any questions on test preparation or the private school admissions process - feel free to contact www.learningridge.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment