Monday, July 30, 2012

A Great Deal of Who You Are - Is What They Were...

I work with a great deal of parents in the community - and it always helps to talk to them after my sessions in order to have a greater understanding of who their child is - and is capable of being.

When I was a young girl - my parents had inspired me by the mere demonstration of who they are as people. Some conversations were substituted by how they live their life - social studies was rooted in everyday lessons of living a life of a good citizen; concepts of math were ingrained with how resources were economized in our family of seven; reading was instilled by watching my mother and father read the newspaper and sneak in magazines and books when we were quietly playing and entertaining other siblings. Our life was simple and filled with a thirst for knowledge and purpose. We were one in the same.

As children get older - they become more like their parents than they care to admit. After working with a four year old, I have noticed that there is a certain degree of shyness and insecurity that is shown when she performs in public. Sometimes I wish that I had time to talk to the mother about situations in her own life where she was once this way. Another young girl I have likes to have concepts explained to her in one or two sentences. When explaining this to her mother, she instantly connected the similarity that her husband has when he is dealing with people. She called it their shared "ADHD", I referred to it as "a family trait".

As my mother has always told me, your actions around your children are a performance for which they mimic. "Monkey see, monkey do." My mother showed me that it is often harder to take the high road in life - but sometimes when you accomplish something that is difficult, there is nobody that can take that away from you.

What lessons can you teach your child today?

If you have any questions regarding educational solutions or parenting tips, feel free to contact me at christine@learningridge.com or you can visit www.learningridge.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment