Monday, July 15, 2013

How Can You Model Great Behavior To Your Child?

As the middle child, the best gift that my parents gave me was the gift of "maybe". When I would ask them about certain things that I wanted to have such as "Will I ever be a great speaker?" - my mom's response would be, "Maybe, if you work really hard at it." It was at that point at time that my mind was set on those "maybe's" turning into a "definitely".

Working with students now and days, I see that students may not have the same drive or initiative that their parents have. Perhaps it is just an observation that I am making - but I hope that somehow the lightbulb will go off and they will surpass the achievements that their parents and grandparents had accomplished before them.

Here is what I would recommend for any parent who wants their child to be High Performing:

1. Engage Actively

Yes, video games are great, but come with several consequences. When your child is doing something, engage in the activity with them and talk to them about it. It's important to talk to your kids about the music they like and then communicate about the music that you liked when you were their age. This will help them to understand you and not feel that they need to "ostracize" you when they are in their teens.

2. Experience - Experience - Experience

When you spend quality time together, whether it is going to the park or enjoying the 4th of July, focus on the experience of what you are in and not what you think is important. Playing frisbee is great when you are at the park but your child will love the fact that you were able to help them make new friends while you are there. It's all about finding those...

3. Teachable Moments

Model great behaviors and coping strategies with your child. Be (as my mom always said) a good citizen by saying hello and showing him what the steps are in making new friends. It's easier to be shown this - than told this!


No comments:

Post a Comment