Wednesday, August 14, 2013

One of the Hardest Parts of Working with Students

It happens within a few moments - a parent calls me in despair. These parents have recognized something that needs attention with their child. They never spell out what the problems are, but between the lines I know that they are asking for my help.

Sometimes they find me through a web search, sometimes they find me through the business card left at a neighborhood coffee establishment - regardless of how they find me, I know what I have to do. As my father would always say, "You have that position and knowledge to help people. Now do what it is that you are meant to do.."

This is where I begin to look beyond the pages of a book. As we begin to unravel the idiosyncrasies and hidden talents of a child, I start the process of discovery (and self-discovery). Using all of the experiences and knowledge that I have accumulated throughout the years, I start to create a path for the student. Sometimes the path is one that is straight and narrow - other times it is rather broad and seemingly overcrowded. Regardless of what the path is, it is one that necessitates a great deal of time and effort.

In my private practice, I have spent many hours deliberating on what I should do first, last, and everything in between. What I do works because I see how happy I have made many children and many clients as I do what I do best - care for people. So when the journey needs to take a different direction - one that involves another individual, I take it very personally.

When I have a client that either needs to be cared for by one of my professionals, it is a difficult transitioning period for me. I always think to myself if that young boy or girl will be okay with the "change". As the first appointment ends and I say goodbye to the young client, I have to stop and remember to not be selfish and want all of the students to work with me. One time I had to let go of a client and for some strange reason - I walked back to the little one and gave them a hug (as if to dull the feeling of emptiness or sadness that I may not see them again.) It is true that when you make a mark on someone's life - it's one that stays there forever. My calling was not to invent a new computer - or work in a hospital from 9-5, or brag about what I did the week before, my calling was to change the way that an individual feels about themselves in a positive way - and have lasting results!


No comments:

Post a Comment