Saturday, November 22, 2014

Can I Get A Side of Success With My Orton-Gillingham Tutoring in Atlanta?

Yes, I kid you not. I'm not exaggerating - or (what my little pre-school clients would like to say) telling you a fib - but it is true. Somehow the byproduct of tutoring our clients in Orton-Gillingham has been not just reading, but a side of success and confidence.

I've been doing this for over a decade now, and the first question that I ask parents is not what subject their child needs help on. If that were the case, I would open up a tutoring franchise and call it "Mc Tutoring" (it's a little catchy isn't it - maybe I should trademark this before somebody else does). I do something that is more important than finding out what the solution is… This helps me in helping them.

Once I've spoken to the parent, I get ready to meet the student. This opportunity is one that I find very special because it allows me to really work with who I enjoy working with most in my life: children. You see, in my childhood  I keenly observed each and every adult around me and noticed who liked working with children, and who liked making a paycheck. Every time I was around someone who liked children, there was a glint in their eyes that made them so approachable. When I was around an individual who wanted to make a paycheck, I noticed that they would count the minutes until their time was up. I've always loved children - and have a special place in my heart for those who are very capable of doing great things, but just do not know how to get there. That is the reason why I love working with children using this methodology.

For years, I've mastered the art of working with kids who have issues with reading. I pride myself on being "the one" who taught them how to read. I help them understand that there is nobody there to judge them and that I will stand beside them when they are finished to tell their mom and dad everything great that they did, and whisper every page of homework left to do. There are contagious smiles, giggles and laughter that comes with each time I work with children. I pre-judge some children, thinking that a concept that I think is hard will be hard for them - and then they make it look easy. I applaud them for being patient - and understanding and knowing that this one sacrifice that they have made early in life - giving up soccer, tennis, ballet or dance for the next few months will result in something bigger than any ribbon or trophy that can be placed in their living room. When they are done working with me, I expect that they will hold their head high and tell me without any reservation, "I can do this". I've achieved this with parents whose children were "below level" for one year and tested for gifted another. I've seen this with children who could only read words that had one syllable for 2 years in elementary school and became proficient readers in computer programming languages for adults.

The sky is the limit - I want this for each and every child I work with and hope that great things come to those who wait…patiently for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment