Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"I Really Do Not Know What To Do!"

As an educator, part of my job (if not most of my job) is spent communicating with the parents of the students that I teach. For the last few years, I have served as a teacher, counselor, confidante, and advocate in education. This year, my role has changed much more because every day I have to come up with more and more strategies to help my parents.

Jane D. is one parent that I have frequent communication with about her son. He is a middle-school aged student that has processing issues. Her primary complaint for today was that he has a difficult time with putting thoughts into words. She said that he does not have a hard time with this when he is articulating his ideas verbally, but he feels very discouraged when he cannot put those same words on a piece of paper.

I worked with him on a one-on-one setting for two sessions. What would normally take him a few hours to complete only took us about 75 minutes (broken up into two sessions of course). I was happy to see that he was able to come up with ideas. I quickly jotted them down and assisted him with the writing process step by step by laborious step. After all is said and done, I showed him all of his hard work and he felt accomplished.

My only wish is that there would be more that we can do to help our students who may need assistance in education. If there are solutions that can be offered to students to help them succeed, why do we not offer it to them? I hope that in the future this will not be an isolated incident of achieving success for a student, but the standard of normalcy in education.

All students deserve a proper education and it is our responsibilty to give it to them.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment