Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What I have done.... (A confessional)

Many times I reminisce about the students and parents that I have worked with. It has been nothing but great memories that I have had throughout the years.Sometimes I have to look back and smile knowing that these individuals have shared this time and space with me.

1. Bringing treats to sessions

One of my favorite students (who attended one of the high schools in Cobb County) would always complain about being so hungry during the tutoring sessions, it was almost comical. I called him the "hangry boy" because he was hungry and angry at the same time.

After a few weeks, I asked the mom if I could bring him some french fries that he could snack on while tutoring. He was never in a bad mood when I came through his door with a bag of fries and always aced the tests that we would study for!

2. Playing hide and seek

My students (some of them are younger and are in elementary school) need a break from learning the 20+ skills that I am drilling them during our scheduled session. Once a month, I would reward one of my students by having him play a game of "Hide and Go Seek" around his house. I've never held my breath for so long playing with an eight-year old and hiding in a storage room.....

3. Tearing Up When a Student Reaches An Important Milestone

It's that "ah-hah" moment that cannot be bought, sold, or auctioned. When I meet with some of my students that are struggling with a certain concept, I can never seem to figure out the exact "time" when they will be able to master that essential concept. After using the Orton-Gillingham Method to teach reading and phonics, I give myself a few months to see if they have made progress. Sometimes, in as little as a few weeks I notice that my students have made significant progress and I am left speechless - with tears welled up in my eyes as I listen to them read, decode, sound things out, etc. I also feel a sense of gratitude when parents share these moments with me and we know that we have made a difference.

4. Being Treated Like a Guest, and Not an Educational Service Provider

I have a portfolio of clients that any tutor would envy - but one of the clients that will always have my heart is the one that treated me like a guest each and every time I came through their door. They were the nicest and most genuine family that I have ever met and no matter what day, what hour, whatever they were doing, they would honor me and what I did for their children by serving me a cup of coffee and giving me a nice snack (each and everytime) I was there for their children. They were not just clients - they were good people!

5. Stealing Hugs and Kisses From Younger Children

I have a fondness for kids. No matter where I go - be it Chik-Fil-A, Target, or Office Depot, little kids will gravitate towards me because they either smell "teacher, will you teach me something" or they can feel the warmth of affection that I am dying to shower upon them. It makes me feel so connected when parents ask what I do to cause this magnetic pull of three-feet younsters!

Some of the families that I work with have younger, smaller children. There is no better feeling in the world than to be able to hug a little one that can barely reach you. I really enjoy working with my families and love to be paid in lots of hugs and kisses on the cheek!

Thank you so much for allowing me to share my "Best Of" moments!

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment