Friday, March 25, 2011

What Good Parents (and Grandparents) Do For Their Children...

It seems that as the more years I work in education, the more encounters that I have with parents (and guardians) that really know how to take care of their loved ones, and parents (and guardians) who.....may need a little more assistance.

Today was probably a day that I will not forget anytime soon. I spend the majority of   my time consulting with parents, teachers, and students on how to manage their "schoolwork-life" balance. During these meetings, we  discuss topics ranging from Academic Preparation, Individualized Education Plans, Related Services, Dyslexia Consultation and Study Skills. For the most part, my goal for consulting with an individual is to make sure that they walk away from the meeting gaining something that they did not have prior to the meeting. Somehow, today was a little different.

I have a wonderful grandparent that has taken such great care of her grandson. Despite the fact that the parenting situation may not be "traditional", she still acts with such fervence and enthusiasm as it pertains to her grandson's education. I deeply admire her for really taking the time to raise him and it made me think of other grandparents who really dote on their grandchildren. Lucky kids!

Back to my story, this grandma has really taken the unselfish task of helping her own. I know that she has tried to work with the school to find resources to help him in his academic studies and has also been in constant communication with his teachers to make sure that he is set up for success. Many obstacles have come her way and many breakthroughs have occurred as well. After meeting with countless administrators and teachers, time can only tell until she would meet with a teacher that could really listen to what she was saying.

As she called on me to help her advocate for services that her grandson needed, I quickly thought of my own family and how difficult it must be for my oldest brother to raise my niece who is quadriplegic. When I was finding the right resources to help her, I noticed that it started to become more and more complicated. I then had to remind myself, "How would you want someone to treat your family if they were asking for help?". Perhaps it is the perpetual question that I ask myself when I feel the situation being a little more than I can handle. Dealing with difficult situations is really difficult - but the rewards can never be taken away.

In the end, I feel that the grandparent was somewhat pleased with the result of the meeting. In our debriefing, she said something that really made me think about why she really cares so much. Her words were, "I'm getting old; I don't have too much time. I just want him to be okay when I am gone - that's it.". After hearing something like that - it's hard not too forget why we are all here.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at  christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment