Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Learning Loss....It's Real

Yes, I experience this every summer with the students that I work with. This "summer learning loss" however, seems to be a little more dramatic than those in the past but nonetheless - it creeps up on the students as if they were out of school for six months...not six weeks.

Looking back at my students I must say - they are a group that any educational consultant could be more proud of. They make gains in each area that they struggled in and exude excellence in everything that they do. They are wonderful students who would be considered "model citizens" by their parents, peers, and other community members. However, like everybody else - they need a vacation from all things "learning based" and have had quite the vacation since the month of May. For many of my students - I have not seen them since the 5th of May, almost six weeks ago. After not having my intensive learning therapy sessions, I can wonder why they needed the break.

Some of  the students that I have not seen in the last few weeks have seen some regression with their skills. I had one that could not solve a one step equation even though he scored a level three on the CRCT. Another student had a difficult time writing a coherent paper free of run-ons and sentence fragments despite a near exceeding standards on the writing test. What happened to my students? Has the summer vacation already taken it's toll on those who flourish in the sun and XBox game controls?

I have yet to meet with the rest of my "group" but I do find that students (like adults) often times lose what they do not use. I highly suggest that they keep their mind active by doing something "educational" at least 20-30 minutes a day. Perhaps it may be in the form of reading, writing, or solving some fairly simple math problems so as to keep your skills sharp - and not dull on the first day of school.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment