Monday, June 6, 2011

Naming Conventions for Students With Disabilities

I must share a conversation that I had with a friend the other day. In referring to a niece that I have who has Cerebral Palsy, I stated that she was an "individual with a disability". I rarely ever point out the latter first because it is how I have been very sensitive to labels, but she was a little surprised by my actions.

She stated that in this day and age many individuals become fixated on "labels" and putting everyone in categories. For example, students that are autistic are referred to as "Autistic Kids" or students with Learning Disabilities are "LD Kids". It never really occurred to me how unfavorable it must be to some individuals to be known as a generalization and not so much as an individual. Perhaps that is why I put the person first rather than second, or third, or last.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment