Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Importance of Language - For Your Young Child

Let me preface this blog entry by first stating that I grew up around individuals who have accents. On top of that, I am constantly surrounded by people with bi-lingual tendencies. Between my husband, my in-laws, and my own family, we speak enough languages to take use around the world. I am very proud of my ability to discern the English language beneath a film of German, French, Spanish, Punjabi, Chinese, Liberian, and Filipino. The only problem that I have with understanding how someone speaks is if....they do not speak coherently.

What I am trying to say is that my ears are very discerning and I am very astute when listening to an individual speak. The only obstacle that may prohibit this is when the individual with whom I am speaking with does not pronounce the words in a coherent manner. For example, I remember hearing someone say the word "when" instead of "win". This just goes to show that sometimes if you only have one shot to say something, say it loud - and clear.

Regardless of how old you are, please make sure that you speak clearly around your children. When I was younger, I remember my older brother hiring a nanny that did not speak English to care for his middle child (my younger niece). My older niece spent almost every waking hour with me listening to me and eventually copying my many peculiar mannerisms - including my speech patters. My younger niece on the other hand, grew up with a slight disadvantage because her young toddler brain could not oscillate between the three languages that were spoken to her in any given hour. It took me years to understand why it was so difficult for me to comprehend what she was saying, but when I finally realized what it was, it all made sense.

 If you have caretakers, nannies or babysitters, have them speak coherently around your children as well. As a product of a household that utilized nannies - this is most important. The habits that your child develops now will last - a lifetime!

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Dunwoody/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment