Thursday, February 10, 2011

One of the hardest things about what I do....

As a professional educator and supplemental education provider,  the hardest thing that I have to encounter is realizing that someone did something "wrong". It really does have an impact on how I must proceed with the the plans that I have made with my particular student(s).

One particular instance occurred while I was conducting an assessment. I was asking one particular student who is short of the next Dakota Fanning and asked her to tell me all the different sounds that certain letters make. She did quite well in the basic assessment. However, as it pertained to the more intermediate levels of the alphabet - I am afraid that this teacher taught the entire class the "incorrect" way of learning the alphabet.

I know that in my years of helping students with reading (which, by the way - is one of the highlights of my career!) there have been some teachers that I have been made aware of that "teach them wrong". It really  baffled me that someone could do that to a roomful of students and I never in my wildest dreams would want to wish that on any student. Fortunately for me, when I was a young child I was able to pick up on the nuances of language and "patterns" however, not everyone is like me and not everyone should attempt to teach students with the ability to cancel certain things out.

As a result - I am correcting the hours of rehearsal that this teacher did as a way to reverse the "incorrect" learning. I know this student is a quick learner and I am assured that she will transfer the new learning soon.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Dunwoody/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.



No comments:

Post a Comment