Wednesday, February 9, 2011

When Kids Play It Helps With....Executive Functioning?

I came from a traditionally large family. My parents had two sets of kids - one set born in the United States and the other set born overseas. I was the "middle child" with two older sibling and three younger siblings. My older sibling was the "cool one" and the three younger siblings were the "rough ones" with nothing but love and nonsensical banter between the three.

I spent the better part of my childhood being entertained by my two younger brothers and one younger sister. I was always in awe watching them play with each other, view countless movies or better yet - upstage each other by trying to outsmart whoever was in their war path. As they grew older, I felt that they became weirder and weirder each and every day. Little did I know that those precious minutes being around the other accelerated their social and intellectual development.

This is one reason why I do believe that the idea of "play" to be very important to the overall development of a child. It teaches them many different things such as how to plan social interactions, how to compromise, how to negotiate and the best part of all, how to experience and share the finest moments in your life.

The link found below describes the importance of play for today's child:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19212514

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/Dunwoody/Vinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at christine@learningridge.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com//. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.


No comments:

Post a Comment