Monday, February 14, 2011

It's Too Much Information....

When we think about education, we think about the fact that our students do way too much that they are unable to complete their homework. I remember being in the classroom and listening to one student tell a veteran teacher, "Hey teacher, I won't be turning in the project that is due today. I'll have my mom turn it in next Thursday when we come back from vacation in Hawaii." Really? That happens now and days?

I am the product of a very education/task focused family. It seems that the individual that I looked up to most when I was growing up was my grandfather. He was one of the most intelligent men that I have ever met and had a knack for knowledge. He loved learning, loved it more than anyone I know. I remember my uncles telling me that while he was working on his PhD in Economics, he would look at the notes that his brother was taking in order to qualify for his law degree. Despite the fact that my father did not attend a day of law school, he was able to learn the material "vicariously" and earned a higher score on the law exam.

However, times have changed and it seems like the love for school has changed as well. Students in our society have come away from the romantic notion of "loving school" and showing their best when it comes to their school work. As a middle child, I went to school excited to see my teachers, my friends, and even my books as everyday was a "gift of learning" that I could share with others. I was very independent -  and my parents can attest (and have attested) that the only support that they have given me in my homework was in providing me with paper, pencils and a backpack. They never sat down and quizzed me or even asked to see my report card (They knew that I was an "A" student. Especially when my teachers would call the house and tell them that.)

 During parent conferences I could see how extremely "bored" they were by listening to my teachers tell them, year after year "Your daughter is a talented and gifted student who loves to....." (okay, fill in the blank). I do admit - I was at the extreme spectrum of what is now considered very capable and conscientious students. There was not one person who told me to act that way - I did it with my own volition. What about kids today?

My biggest concern is that our children in society may not have the best set of priorities that are laid out for them. I do agree that students need a balanced life - but sometimes it is the adult that needs to set these priorities in place for them. Teach them at an early age what your routine is, what your limits are (for example, you have 20 minutes of "me" time right after you get home from school then you will have your snack and begin homework) and what the expectations are. It is important that they "do their best", but it is also important that they accomplish their milestones as well. When you are honest and proactive with your kids, they will learn how to adapt and do their best in any given circumstance.

If you are in the Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw/DunwoodyVinings/Sandy Springs/Buckhead area (Cobb County, Fulton County, Dekalb County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett) and have any questions about the JATP, CRCT, SSAT, SAT, GED, Summer Tutoring, Orton-Gillingham, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Writing Strategies, Brain Gym or any methodologies or instructional methods that may help your child succeed, please contact me at mailto:christine@learningridge.com.com or visit my website at http://www.learningridge.com/. If you need immediate assistance, you can call me at 404-964-8533.







No comments:

Post a Comment